VMC Basic Drum Circle Facilitator
Are you a music therapist, a musician, a teacher or a manager with focus on human resources?
Drum Call • Stop Cuts • Sculpting
20 hours of training for Facilitators from Friday to Sunday afternoon.
A weekend packed with information and hands on facilitation experiences.
Designed to give participants the confidence, tools and inspiration necessary to facilitate a drum circle or rhythm-based event for a variety of populations and group sizes and build their own rhythm community.
The program format will include group instruction and discussions combined with small group break-out exercises that reinforce the learning of the foundational facilitation elements presented.
Exercises are taught sequentially so as to become progressively more complex as the facilitators’ skills develop throughout the weekend. Participants experience multiple small group activities using movement, voice, musical instruments, and improvisational rhythm games.
Participants of VMC Basic Facilitator Training will:
• Learn rhythm techniques, games and activities to motivate groups
• Develop the facilitation skills necessary to lead rhythm events
• Receive immediate feedback on skills learned
• Develop a critique-technique process for skills learning
• Explore personal facilitation techniques and styles
• Discover how to avoid the most common mistakes of the beginning facilitator
• Understand how to apply facilitation skills to diverse populations
Learning objectives will be achieved through skills development in:
• Percussion skills based on universal principals of drumming
• Experience with a variety of musical styles, forms and instruments
• Activities structured to teach facilitation using pitch dynamics, timbre discrimination, tempo variations and orchestration techniques
• Improvisation using body-music, vocals & group activities
• Community Building Through Rhythm
Suggested video: “The Art of Drum Circle Facilitation”, from www.drumcircle.com website
Required Text: Drum Circle Facilitation: Building Community Through Rhythm by Arthur Hull
Friday 20th October
16:00-17:00 *1 Basic Intro / Orientation
17:00-20:00 *3 DCF Training
Saturday 21st October
09:00-12:00 *3 DCF Training
12:00-13:30 *1.5 Lunch
13:30-17:00 *3.5 DCF Training
17:00-17:30 *0.5 Break
17:30-20:30 *3 DCF Training
21:45 Late Night
Sunday 22nd October :
09:00-12:00 *3 DCF Training
12:00-13:30 *1.5 Lunch
13:30-16:00 *2 DCF Training / Prep for CommunityDC
16:00-17:00 *1 Closing Ceremony/ DC Setup
18:30 DRUM CIRCLE open to the city
TO WHOM IS ADDRESSED
The Basic Drum Circle Facilitator Training/Playshop is designed for Tutors, Educators, Musicians, Doctors, Music-therapists, Clown-therapists and any person who uses rhythm to bring wellness in a group. The CHALLLENGE program is designed for graduate VMC Facilitators .
This experience gives one the opportunity to be part of a network consisting of facilitators, music-therapists, professionals and new people coming from all parts of the world to collaborate with.
Rhythmical Alchemy Playshop
The Rhythmical Alchemy Playshop is for everyone! No experience is necessary.
Escape the outside world and play with your rhythm community in Arthur’s one-of-a-kind musical sandbox. This experiential, family-friendly event offers people of all ages and backgrounds a playful and safe environment to explore the power of rhythm in our lives.
Ice-breakers! Rhythm Play! Vocal games! Songs! Theater improv!
In the Rhythmical Alchemy Playshop™ our rhythm community builds as we play, sing, dance and drum together. Using contact improvisation, vocals, rhythmical games, hand drumming and drum circle consciousness, we create musical fun in a nurturing place.
Explore expressive activities through musical ice-breakers, rhythm-play, vocal games, songs and theater improv for community-building fun!
This weekend experiential playshop provides 18-20 hours of rhythmical exploration, practice and fun! Facilitators of all backgrounds and experience levels will gain innovative motivational techniques and inspirational activities suitable for multiple group applications. Learn new approaches to recreational drumming!
Touch, feel, listen, express with drums, whistles, chimes, gongs, bells, wood, metal and more.
Who Should Attend
- The Rhythmical Alchemy Playshop™ is for everyone!
- Teachers * Music Educators * Activities Directors * Music Therapists
- It is especially recommended for the playfully challenged
- DCFs ready to stretch their rhythm sensibilities are encouraged to attend
- Families have attended together
- Past participants have ranged from ages 4 to 89!
This program will provide
- An exploration of basic & advanced rhythm and percussion skills.
- Practice using a variety of musical styles, forms and instruments.
- Musicality instruction through pitch dynamics, timbre discrimination & tempo variations.
- Experience of leading and following while playing in the groove.
- Musical improvisation experiences using a variety of instruments,
- body-music, vocals and group drumming activities.